What seemed like a normal Sunday... get up, get to church late... quickly changed to something a little more unusual around 10 a.m. We were sitting in our Sunday School room when the weather outside seemed to go a little crazy. Turns out it was a little more than crazy. I was only thinking, goodness in our hurry to leave to church I should have let B.J. procure a better umbrella. It wasn't long before the rain died down and we thought it safe to head home.
As soon as we made our exit off the expressway, we realized that an alternate route was in order. The area under the expressway had filled up with more water than I had ever seen and a car was already stalled in it. We took the long way home and started seeing storm damage. Just as soon as we pulled in our drive my phone rang. I didn't recognize the number but answered it anyway... it was my parents neighbor. He was asking if my dad was with me. I told him that he was not... and he started telling me that it was important that my dad called him... so I made sure that he didn't need to go somewhere (like the hospital) and he said no, everything is fine, just have your dad call me. I was really wondering what was going on, so I continued asking him questions, he assured me that everything was fine and then said that two trees were down and the street in front of their house was impassable. Oh, just two enormous oak trees.
So, I immediately called my parents and they were in search of a place to eat brunch since the first place they had gone had lost power. I told my mom what her neighbor had said and that they should go home.
We had discovered that we did not have electricity and since Tag had fallen asleep in the car we decided to go check it out for ourselves. All I can say is WOW, it was a crazy sight to see 100 year old oak trees uprooted and laying down across the street. Not only were there 2 trees in my parents yard, there was one on the corner, blocking 4 houses in. The biggest blessing is that the trees fell away from my parents house. There was two trees down one block over that had landed on homes.
I wish that I had my camera to show a picture! A local news station came by and interviewed my dad and showed some clips of my mom taking pictures of the damage. They were the top story on the 5 o'clock news. The reporter did his whole story from their front yard.
Luckily for us our power came back on around 5 p.m.
The other major event for today was that Tag tried tomatoes... and liked them. This might not seem like a big deal, but I am not a fan of raw tomatoes...
Other than that just a normal Sunday.
1 comment:
Thanks for sharing this story. Sunday still seems unbelievable to us, however, the best part of the day was watching Tag eat his first tomatoes!
Love, Gran and Pops
Post a Comment